and Riding Mountain biosphere reserve in Manitoba.
We realize that this may be a new experience for some of you.
We have put together a few helpful hints in preparation for your travel in all seasons.
|Please check the weather forecast before traveling here.
Please also check Manitoba road reports
|We encourage you to download this 4-seasons trip preparation list
TRAVEL TO RIDING MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
GROUND TRAVEL (Car) from Winnipeg to Riding Mountain National Park
and Elkhorn Resort:
• Head west on Portage Ave. to the west side of the city
• Continue west on Trans Canada Hwy# 1 West just west of Portage La Prairie
• Turn right (north) at the Yellowhead Hwy 16 junction.
You will be traveling northwest at this point.
• Continue heading northwest through Gladstone and Neepawa
until the Hwy 10 junction just outside Minnedosa.
• Turn right at Hwy 10 and travel north through Onanole
into Riding Mountain National Park.
• The Elkhorn Resort is the first right hand turn beyond the National Park entrance gate.
Perimeter Airlines provides regular schedule to Dauphin
or charter to Erickson or Dauphin is available.
We create charters for small groups.
OUR ACCOMMODATION PARTNERS:
Elkhorn Resort & Solstice Spa
Whirlpool Road Bed & Breakfast
The following maps can be used to help you visualize your travel to Onanole and Wasagaming, the communities situated on the south of the national park, where accommodations are available.
Click on either of the maps below to enlarge them.
Distance from other communities in western Canada
to Riding Mountain National Park are also available.
TOP 10 THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU ARRIVE (Our recommendations)
You may wish to consider some of the following activities during your stay.
Some of these facilities and activities are only open from May - October.
Please check ahead to see if they are open or available.
- Visit Poor Michaels Bookstore and Café in Onanole and kick back with a really good cup of coffee and a book from their wide variety of used books.
- The Siesta Café in Wasagaming offers great coffee, deserts, and Internet connections and a funky ambiance.
- The Solstice Spa & Equinox Mineral Pool located at the Elkhorn Resort has relaxation experiences for all.
- T.R. McKoy’s offers a lovely summertime Italian dining experience.
- The Clear Lake Golf Course Restaurant has a spectacular view overlooking Clear Lake.
- The historic Scandinavian log Visitor Centre in Wasagaming has an informative display of wildlife and gardens.
- Take a romantic stroll along the Lakeshore Walk leaving from the Trading Post.
- Take in a game of golf at the Clear Lake Golf Course, renowned for its cutting edge organic greens maintenance, biodiesel fuels, and composting program which contribute to its reputation for excellent course play.
- Have some family fun time at the historic lawn bowling greens in Wasagaming.
- Watch the sunset over the lake on a cruise aboard the Martese.
Additional Information about the area
Riding Mountain National Park is situated in south central Manitoba 1-hour north of Brandon and 3-hours north west of Winnipeg. It borders Saskatchewan to the west. It is Manitoba’s first National Park and occupies 2,973 square km’s. The park offers great wildlife viewing, nature appreciation, sight seeing, and year-round activity. It has a landscape rich in the cultural history of Aboriginal Peoples like the Anishnabe, French, German, Scandinavian, and Ukrainian immigrant peoples. Earth Rhythms specializes in providing access to the park in all seasons.
The Riding Mountain Biosphere Reserve occupies 15,000 ha in south-western Manitoba including the Riding Mountain National Park as well as the 18 rural municipalities surrounding the park. It is designated land within the Canadian Biosphere Reserves Association where the people in the area work together to promote sustainable use of resources through various measures of conservation, education, agricultural traditions, and tourism. Earth Rhythms specializes in providing access to the people and activities of the Riding Mountain biosphere reserve in all seasons.